Back to Additional Exercises
- The exercises listed are divided into three categories according
to estimated time for completion of lab.
- One hour labs - designed to accompany discussion sections
- Three hour labs - traditional lab period duration
- Multi-week labs - labs that take more than one three-hour lab section
to complete. These labs range from one week labs with follow-up to semester-long
projects that include suggestions for independent study.
- Estimates of time for completion will, in some cases, vary
according to the level of students.
- Within the three sections, exercises are divided into categories
according to whether they utilize
- organisms (real or hypothetical)
- existing data
- All of these exercises were either pulled from existing laboratory
websites or from publications ( formal journals and official workshops).
- Credit to institution and educator are listed.
- No attempt was made to provide editorial comments about these exercises,
although exercises were selected to be appropriate for undergraduate biology
- There are many other websites at various educational institutions
that have rough guidelines for laboratory exercises, but the exercises included
on this site provide sufficient instructions for educators to set-up and
lead labs based on the information provided. See
for more information on these other sites.