For UVA only:
Sharing Large (Audio/Video) files
UVA provides an anonymous ftp site (ftp.virginia.edu) that can be accessed
via the web where files can be placed and accessed freely.
Here are instructions for a computer located in a UVA office:
1) Files already on the server can be downloaded by using your web browser
to go to the following ftp site: ftp.virginia.edu
- Navigate to public_access/fromUVA
- Find the directory or file you want to download
- Right-click on the filename and copy/paste as you would from any other directory.
2) To upload files from your hard drive to the anonymous ftp site:
- Use an ftp program (SecureFX or WSftp) to connect to ftp.virginia.edu
- Log on with USERID "anonymous" and PASSWORD <your email/eservices
userid> (DON'T USE YOUR REAL PASSWORD!)
- Navigate to public_access/toUVA
- You should be able to create folders and upload files to these folders.
(The convention is to create a folder named with your userid--so, I use dl2h.)
- NB: This is a temporary transfer site -- Files may potentially be deleted
by the end of each day. Also, you will not be able to remove files you have
placed on this site.
Here are instructions for a computer NOT located in a UVA office:
1) As above, except that you navigate to the public_access/toUVA directory
2) As above, except that you navigate to the public_access/toUVA directory