Financial Aid for Entry-Level Students

Students' best sources of assistance are through the Federal College Work-Study Program, National Direct Student Loans, student guaranteed loans, and part-time employment. These sources of aid are available to all students and are administered by the University Office of Financial Aid to Students.

All Counselor Education students who seek financial aid should apply to the University Office of Financial Aid. The web site address of the Office of Financial Aid is: Students may contact the office by email: and by USPS mail:

Office of Financial Aid to Students
University of Virginia
918 Emmet Street
P.O. Box 400204
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4204
(434) 982-6000

Unfortunately, the program offers only limited financial assistance to students in the entry-level programs and this is usually during their second year (typically only four students a year are funded as teaching assistants for undergraduate courses). Because the number of qualified applicants far exceeds available awards, we strongly encourage students to contact the Office of Financial Aid and to apply for assistantships and work-study positions at other places in the University where earning opportunities may be available. In addition, each year, the Curry School of Education Foundation offers students the opportunity to apply for scholarships and other financial awards. Applications are typically due in early spring and many require students to be nominated by their program area. Further information about the Foundation scholarship programs is available on the Foundation website: and click the left menu “About Curry”, select “Curry Foundation”, then, again, on the left menu “Scholarships, Honors and Awards” and “Student Scholarships”. Or, you can key in the following string: