The following list of steps provides a quick entrance into our electronic discussion tool, Tapped In. The Tapped In community is composed of k-12 teachers, graduate students, counselors, administrators, and college/university faculty from across the globe. Our plan, in this course, is to use a class space, leaving you to discover the additional resources (and riches) on your own. The design is to get you interacting and using the tool in the smallest number of steps.
1. Go to the web site, http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
2. Because this is your first time, you'll need to complete the registration. Select the link in the upper left corner of the screen that reads "Sign up for free membership."
3. Complete all of the information in the bolded sections of the form that appears. The information that you input will stay confidential. This is a system designed by educators, and contact information is provided so that other members of the community might be able to query you.
4. Your login will be some combination of the letters of your first and last name. You'll be prompted at the next screen to login to the community. Follow the link and input both your login and the password that you set up when setting up your membership.
5. Once admitted to the Tapped In community, you'll be taken to the main reception area. Two things of note in terms of the features on your screen. Navigation and menu links are along the top and left hand side of the screen. The chat box used for the required synchronous discussion is on the bottom.
6. To find the class group, you'll want to click on the search button in the top right hand corner of your screen.
7. In the next window, choose "groups" from the purple bar. In the search field, type "EDHS 733." Click on the "EDHS 733 FALL 06 UVA" link that will appear.
8. This next screen prompts you at the top of the group information to "join this group" by clicking on the link. After you've done so, that link should turn to green text reading "You have successfully joined this group." Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link (next to an icon of a door) to enter the EDHS 733 classroom.
9. Welcome to the class area! Here, you'll find useful web links, class materials, and, most importantly, our class discussion area. To access the discussion, click on the link on the left that reads "discussion." To post, click on the link that reads "post new topic." To reply to an existing post, click on reply (which appears on the far right hand side of the post's contents.)
10. One last piece of information… When you next log on to Tapped In, you can quickly navigate to the class page by clicking on the drop menu in the upper right corner that is labeled "Favorite Places." The EDHS 733 class site should now appear in those options.