Set Up a Proxy Server Account and Configure Your Browser
The proxy server permits off-Grounds UVA faculty and students to access and use the Library’s databases. Getting set up to use the proxy server is a two-part process. It requires obtaining a proxy server account and a simple reconfiguration of your web browser.
Account set up : https://proxy.virginia.edu/accountsetup.cgi
Note : There is an “s” after http and before “://”.
- Type last name and University ID (no dashes)
- Type (create) password
- Account is immediately established
- User login will be your UVA e-mail ID (e.g. abc4d) and will be displayed on the page indicating your proxy account has been successfully created.
Web browser set up : http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/proxy/
Netscape 4.7, 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1 (Netscape 6.0 and 6.1 will not work with the proxy server.)
- Click on Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Proxies, Automatic Proxy Configuration.
- Type in URL http://proxy.virginia.edu/ (The final “/” is REQUIRED for Netscape 7.1.)
- Click on Reload.
- Click on OK.
- If you are using version 7.1 , configure the browser to accept all cookies, by clicking on Edit, Preferences, Privacy & Security, and Cookies. Select Accept All Cookies and click OK.
Internet Explorer 5.0 and 6.0 (IE 5.5 not recommended.)
- Click on Tools, Internet Options, Connections, and then LAN Settings.
- In the LAN Settings window, click on Use automatic configuration script so that a check appears in the checkbox.
- Make sure that this is the only box that is checked on this window.
- In the Address field, type in the URL http://proxy.virginia.edu/
- Click OK to close the window, then click OK in the Internet Options window to save your settings.
- Close and reopen the browser so that the changes will take effect.
- If you are using version 6.0 , you may need to configure the browser to accept all cookies, by clicking on Tools, Internet Options, and Privacy. Move the bar down until the text changes to read Accept All Cookies and click OK.
After your proxy account and browser are set up, a dialog box will prompt you for your user name (e-mail ID) and password when you click on one of the Library’s databases.
- Once your account is established, it can be used immediately to access Library databases.
- You will only need to log into the proxy server once during a Web session.
- If you forget your password, simply set up the proxy server account again.
- The proxy server access supports both pc and mac platforms.
For assistance with proxy access contact the ITC Helpdesk at 434-924-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org .