This is a bit undigested,
but may offer you some insight on characters. We don't recommend
passing these pages directly on to students; it's better for you
to condense this information and deliver it to them yourself.
For more information, turn to the LRS texts.
* The First and Second Principle
of a Clear and Direct Style.
* Which kind of character? What counts as a character?
* When Agents Disappear
* How to Depopulate a Sentence
* How to Find a (Grammatical) Subject
* A Further Note on Nominalizations
* Problems with Too Few Characters
* Typical Student Questions