Paper #2: Workshops
Your Name __________________________ Authors Name
Part One: The Introduction
I. The Problem Statement
1) What is the status quo?
2) What is the destabilizing condition/
3) What are the consequences?
4) What is the answer/ claim?
II. Evaluating the Claim
1) Is the claim obvious? If so, how would you change it?
2) Is the claim contestable and supportable? If not, how would you
3) Does it need to be more specific? How so?
4) Does it need any qualifications? Such as?
Part Two: The Body
I. Reasons and Evidence
1) Label (in the paper) and list (on this worksheet) all of the
reasons used by the author.
2) Does each reason have its own paragraph? Where in the paragraph
does it appear?
3) Is each reason supported by evidence? Label and list the
evidence for each reason.
II. Acknowledgment and Response
1) Where does the author provide acknowledgment and response to
opposing or alternative arguments? (Label and then quote specific
2) Which part of the authors argument does each example of
A&R support? (Does the A&R support the claim, the reasons,
the evidence, or the warrants?)
3) Does the argument need to acknowledge and respond to any other
arguments or points?
III. Evaluating the Argument
1) Does the argument meet the readers expectations? (Does
the solution offered in the introduction match the solution offered
in the conclusion?)
2) Tell us something the author did well in her argument:
3) Tell us something the author needs to work on in her argument: