Read the essay without writing anything. Fill in the boxes on the
attached page. Then answer these questions about the essay. Please
do not write on the essay itself.
Assessing the parts
Is the problem tangible or conceptual? ______________ How do you
1. Does this represent a common assumption about the topic? ______
If so, do you recognize it from
___your own first impressions?
___our reading? (Name the author/article ____________________________________)
___other sources? _______________________________________________________
1. Does this reveal a flaw in the status quo? _____
1. Are the consequences costs or benefits? __________________
2. Are the consequences obviously linked to the problem? (That is,
are they clearly the bad things that would happen if you continued
to believe in the SQ or the good things that wouldhappen if you stopped
believing in it?) ____________
3. Who would care about the consequences?
___Anyone in our class
___People at UVA
1. Does the resolution show how the writer wants to change the way
readers act or think? _____