Day 27 - Monday
1) Class Business (5)
- * Sign-in Sheet
- * Discuss Assignment for Wednesday 10/31
- * Film Presentation Sign-up Sheet
2) Discuss Acknowledgment and Response (10)
Now lets brush up on A&R so youll be ready for
the Q&A session after your presentations.
* What are Acknowledgments? Responses?
* How do we signal an Acknowledgment? What words do we use?
Write on board. (Despite, regardless, although, while, even though,
seems, appears, may, some evidence, it is easy to think that. . .)
* Once weve stated our acknowledgment, how do we signal
our own response to it? What words do we use? Write on board. (But,
however, on the other hand.)
3) The Bad Boyfriend Exercise (20)
* Okay, now lets practice using these signals. When I
say "go" I want you to find 3 other people, make your desks into
a circle, and then look back at me. Ready? Go!
* Hand out instructions for the Bad Boyfriend Exercise. Assign a role to
each group. Have groups appoint a secretary to write down the letter.
* Starting now, you have 6 minutes to write your letter.
* Stop! Have a volunteer from each group read the letter. Discuss
language of A&R in each.
* Give them the handout on "The Language of Acknowledgment and Response." Read
through and discuss.
4) Brainstorm Claims for Wednesday (15)
* Ask for 3 volunteers to serve as judges. Divide rest of class
into 3 groups of 5.
* Each group has 2 minutes to brainstorm claims that begin
with the statement "We should watch Forrest Gump."
* Judges eliminate duplicate claims. Determine winners based on quantity
and/ or quality.
5) Collect Revision #2
6) Return Capone Papers
Back to MWF Calendar