Day 4 - Tuesday
- return skeletal arguments
- What is a claim?
A statement that is provable, significant (debatable), and
thoughtful (appropriately qualified). It answers the question,
"What do you think?"
- Claims in silver cup
Is it an appropriate claim? Why or why not? What could you change
to make it an appropriate claim?
- Claim brainstorming from reading
Is artistic creation like the process described by a
Is an artist like a creator in a cosmogony?
- What is a reason?
A sub-claim &endash; same criteria as above, tho' less general,
more specific. It answers the question, "Why do you believe that
claim?" They start with "because" &endash; they're grammatically
- Claims in silver cup: generating reasons for the
- Reason brainstorming based on an interesting
claim from above
How is this process different?
Sharing reasons only; we "guess" claim from its subclaims
- What is a warrant?
It shows relevance. It answers the question, "What does that have
to do with that?" e.g. Walmart commercial: "And three of them are
Usually we know when something is relevant or not, usually without
its being stated.
- Sometimes relevance is hard to see
e.g. Claim: You shouldn't buy clothes made in that country.
Reason: Because they don't protect their environment.
Relevance in its more obvious cases is usually a matter of
- Warrants exist (surprise!) at all levels of
argument They connect claims to reasons and reasons to
- Ways of disputing a warrant concern include
arguing that you don't agree with the warrant offered and arguing
that a warrant doesn't exist. e.g. cartoons
reading on syllabus. Another skeletal argument re: parallels between
one artist's account and one creation story. Claim: X's account of
creativity parallels Y story of creation.
Appropriate and Inappropriate Claims for Day 4
- God created the world in seven days.
- Evening is the best time to throw a party.
- Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
- The United States government should decrease
- Schools should require physical education.
- Meat eaters can't love their pets as much as
- The practice of medicine is similar to the
practice of art.
- Preserving the environment should be a
- The invention of the automobile changed the way
people live and work.
- The Simpsons is among the twentieth century's
most innovative television series.
- George Washington was our best president.