Day 10 - Wednesday
1) Class Business (5)
* Sign-in Sheet
* Discuss Assignment for Friday 9/21
2) Workshop Introductions (25)
* Select Partners.
* Distribute workshop sheet.
* Collect Introductions.
3) Making v. Having an Argument (20)
* Argument is War-- Distribute "Talking About Argument" handout. Have
students brainstorm individually for 1-2 minutes.
-- When I say "Go," find two classmates and arrange your desks into
circles, then look back to me.
-- Brainstorm more ways of describing an argument.
-- Using worksheets, describe winning, resisting, and building up evidence for
-- Reconvene: share responses on board (expect war and persuasion models).
* Discuss relevance to costs and consequences.
* Goal: We shouldn’t treat argument as war, where the goal is to destroy
our opponents. Instead, our papers are negotiations between the writer and the
reader. We make arguments in our papers, we don’t have them. (Argument
* Aims of Argument:-- Persuasion/ Agreement
-- Mutual Respect
-- Further our own thinking
4) Return Papers
Return to MWF Calendar