Day 17 - Friday
1) Class Business (5)
* Sign-in Sheet
* Discuss Assignment for Monday 10/8
* Discuss A&E Biography Selection
2) Claims Review (15)
* Return Claims
* Distribute Claims Handout. Have students rank the claims in each group, from
most to least interesting.
* Discuss Claims
3) Claims Workshop (15)
* Distribute Claims Workshop Sheet
* Have students get into groups of 3. Share final claim with your group and fill
out a claim worksheet based on the group’s comments/ feedback.
* Keep worksheets, turn in final claims.
4) Begin Discussion of Biography (15)
* Biography as Genre
1) What is a biography? What does it do?
2) Why write biography? Why read biography?
3) What are the possible forms of biography?
4) What kinds of materials do biographers use to construct the biographies?
5) What kinds of materials do biographers use to construct the biographies? Why
are they worth
writing about? Are they living or dead? How does this affect the materials we
6) How is biography different from autobiography?
7) What sorts of issues are worth discussing in relation to biography?
b) Bias (of author, witnesses, evidence, memory)
c) Fact/ Truth v. Fiction/ Invention
d) Distance between author and subject
e) Purpose of Bio
f) Narrative Structure
* How is the story told? Progress? Victory? Chronologically? Thematically?
* How are events treated? Selected?
* How is time handled?
* Narrative voice (author/ subject/ reader relationship)
5) Collect Claims and Papers
Return to MWF Calendar