Astronomy 1210 -- March 12, 2012 (20)
Important Topics from Last Time
- Exam 2 is Friday in class
- Exam 2 Preview questions are available.
- A review session will be held on Wednesday or Thursday - details on the course website shortly.
- The "constellation of the week" is Leo - see also
Today's Key Topics
- Collecting light with telescopes
- Reflectors vs. refractors
- Resolving power vs. wavelength and size of telescope.
- Observing the universe from space
- Overview of solar system contents; the dominance of the Sun
- Jovian vs. terrestrial planets
- Minor bodies - comets and asterioids.
- Regular features of the solar system
- Today: Cosmic Perspective Chapter 7
- Next Lecture: Chapter 8; Sections 16.1 and 16.2
- Jupiter and Venus will be at their closest the next few days.
- The Moon is at Last Quarter, high in the sky in the morning.
- Mars is near opposition and just below the constellation of Leo. It
rises around sunset and Mars (and Leo) are high in the sky in the late
Home - Notes - A - APOD - BA - SN - SW - ST - I - S - T - W - B
National Weather Service Current Forecast
Current location of the Wide Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE)