Planetary Terminology and Configurations
- Conjunction: When a planet lies along the line of sight to the Sun
- Inferior: The planet lies between the Earth and the Sun
(inferior planets only)
- Superior: The planet lies beyond the Sun (both superior and
- Opposition: The Earth lies between the planet and the Sun
(superior planets only). The planet rises as the Sun sets.
- Greatest Elongation: When an inferior planet reaches its greatest angle
away from the Sun as viewed from Earth.
Updated September 21, 2007