The Scientific Method vs. Astrology
Created September 30, 1997
No systematic observations.
The positions of the planets at the time of your birth dictates the
daily events of your life, or at least your character.
- Note: No physical influence of the planets could have this effect.
The position of the obstetrician at the time of your birth has a far
greater gravitational influence than the Sun, Moon, and planets
No specific testable predictions.
- Vague self-fulfilling/interpretable-after-the-fact advice
- Refutation: Various
- Twenty different astrologers will cast twenty
different horoscopes for the same person.
- People asked to pick from a dozen daily horoscopes from the newspaper have exactly a 1 in 12
chance of picking the right one -- i.e. random chance.
- In an experiment in which 100 people were given an identical
statement which was supposedly composed just
for them, more than half said that the statement was a perfect
description of them -- vague words can be moulded to fit any personality.