The Solar System consists of the Sun and all the insignificant
debris gravitationally bound to it.
An Inventory of the Solar System
- Solar System Contents
- One Star -- The Sun (consitituting 99.8% of the total mass)
- Eight planets (maybe one or two more)
- 125+ satellites - mostly around the Jovian planets
- Thousands of Asteroids -- most concentrated between the
orbits of Mars and Jupiter
- Trillions (?) of Comets -- only a few of which occasionally come close to the Sun
- Some of these lie in an outer asteroid/cometary belt just
beyond Neptune's orbit.
- Although many classify Pluto as a planet, it is
now only the second largest known resident of this outer "Kuiper" belt.
- Interplanetary dust (microscopic asteroids)