- Nuclear Weapons and Coercive Diplomacy. Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2016. With Matthew Fuhrmann.
- Reputations and Signaling in Coercive Bargaining.
Journal of Conflict Resolution (forthcoming).
- Military Technology and the Duration of Civil Conflict.
International Studies Quarterly (forthcoming). With Jonathan D. Caverley.
- Signaling Alliance Commitments: Hand-Tying and Sunk Costs in Extended Nuclear Deterrence.
American Journal of Political Science 58:4 (October 2014), pp. 919-35. With Matthew Fuhrmann.
- Nuclear Strategy, Nonproliferation, and the Causes of Foreign Nuclear Deployments.
Journal of Conflict Resolution 58:3 (April 2014), pp. 455-80. With Matthew Fuhrmann.
- Crisis Bargaining and Nuclear Blackmail.
International Organization 67:1 (Winter 2013), pp. 173-95. With Matthew Fuhrmann.
Related: H-Diplo/ISSF debate:
- The Illusion of Democratic Credibility.
International Organization 66:3 (Summer 2012), pp. 457-89. With Alexander B. Downes.
- Militarized Compellent Threats, 1918-2001.
Conflict Management and Peace Science 28:4 (Fall 2011), pp. 377-401.
- Goliath's Curse: Coercive Threats and Asymmetric Power.
International Organization 64:4 (Fall 2010), pp. 627-60.
- The Army You Have: The Determinants of Military Mechanization, 1979-2001.
International Studies Quarterly 54:2 (June 2010), pp. 481-511. With Elizabeth N. Saunders.
- Are Soldiers Less War-Prone than Statesmen?
Journal of Conflict Resolution 48:5 (October 2004), pp. 746-74.
- Sharing the Bomb: Nonproliferation, Deterrence, and Foreign Nuclear Deployments.
In Henry D. Sokolski, ed., Nuclear Nonproliferation Missteps. Carlisle, Pa.: U.S. Army War College (forthcoming).
- Should the United States or the International Community Aggressively Pursue Nuclear Nonproliferation Policies? (Exchange with Scott D. Sagan and Josh Weddle.)
In Peter M. Haas, John A. Hird, and Beth McBratney, eds., Controversies in Globalization: Contending Approaches to International Relations. Washington, D.C.: CQ Press (2009).
- The Effects of September 11: A Rift Between Europe and America?
In John G. Geer, ed., Public Opinion and Polling Around the World. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO (2004).
- Reprinted in David Skidmore, ed., Paradoxes of Power: U.S. Foreign Policy in a Changing World. Boulder, Co.: Paradigm (2007).